BIRTHDAY COUNTDOWN

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, May 16, 2008

Adults say the dumbest things...

Okay, so we are parents of twins. When we found out we were having twins, I started thinking about all of the hard work that would be involved. You know, double diaper duty, double feedings, getting two children down for a nap at the same time, taking care of two crying children, etc. etc... Things that really exercise my patience (which I typically have very little of). What I didn't realize was that it would not always be my babies that tried my patience the most. I, as well as my husband, have discovered that there are a lot of stupid people in this world. I'm walking around Costco the other day and my girls are wearing matching purple shirts, matching black stretch pants and matching bows in their hair. A lady stops me and says, "Are they twins?" Seriously? I smile and nicely say, "Yep." This question is pretty common, for whatever reason, and I've really gotten used to it. What I refuse to get used to is the second question that the lady asks..."Is it a boy and a girl?" That's when I really have to focus on not yelling, "Hello!!! Do you see the purple frilly shirts or the ridiculous bows on their heads? I would hate to see how you dress your boys!" Of course, I end up pointing out that they are two girls and she moves on. But I'm done. I think from now on when people ask that first inevitable question, "Are they twins?" I'm going to look at them like their nuts and say, "What are you talking about? I only have one child." Then I will walk away and shake my head sadly. That ought to make them question their sanity and think about asking that question the next time they see two kids, who look exactly alike, are dressed exactly alike and are the same exact age.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

OK, so let me ask that third question...based off of the picture of them in the swing....

...so are they joined at the hip now or did Jeremy just glue them together?

Shawn

Vanessa said...

I like the one kid answer. Bryan always answers to the "how many children are you going to have" "We're stopping at two" I told him, one day Hunter will be offended by this.
For the boy question, you should really say, "Would you make your boy wear this?"
I do have to say that many people have asked the twin question to Hannah and Kevin, especially when they wear matching yellow feetsies, and the answer of course is no.
~nessa

Carolyn said...

It is really great to see pictures of all of you Biehn's out there! I found your blog through Laura Fraley's and I haven't stepped away from the computer in over an hour now...bad news for the laundry I have piled up waiting for me to get it done!

Your girls are beautiful and I am glad to see you are doing well.

-Carolyn (Driggs) Repetti

cyclingchef said...

Like the guys from the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" would say when someone would ask something stupid - "there's your sign"

Guess you'd have to be familar with BCCT to fully understand...

Good snappy comebacks.